Alan Chan Candidates, Clients
Considering a career in freelance design? This week, we caught up with our super-star freelance designer, Claudio Palma! We are thrilled to interview him and find out a little more about himself and what his day entails as a freelancer!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hello peeps! I am a passionate integrated designer that hails from New Zealand. I love all aspects of visual design, including its craft and the role it plays in driving business and making the world a better place.
2. How long have you been a freelancer for?
I embarked on my own creative start-up in 2010 and I have been freelancing for Become for over 3 years.
3. What do you enjoy about freelancing?
Everyday is different, as a freelancer I am not always working in the same environment everyday. So the variety of work and the range of people makes professional life dynamic and always interesting. I end up working on all kinds of design projects using various skills from exacting technical execution to creative design.
4. How do you keep yourself organised? / What does your day look like?
My iPhone and iCal is my life line, probably no different to every other professional, however everything I do is logged in. Concrete or otherwise, personal and professional. Being always in touch with clients or agents is key. I am up early and I check emails first. If I need to be somewhere, I make sure I plan to ensure I know how to get there, praise Google. If I am working from my home studio, I make sure I am up early too. I take my lunch with me if I am working on location, and I love the occasional coffee to keep up momentum.
5. For someone who might be considering freelancing for the first time, what are 3 tips you would give them?
- Always have an enthusiastic, friendly, approachable attitude.
- Be flexible. Every company or client carry out tasks differently, so it is important to be adaptable and willing to learn.
- Don't take yourself too seriously. Every day is not the same, so it helps to have a sense of humour.
To find out more about Claudio visit his website here.
If you’re considering making the transition into Freelancing, we're here to help. Speak with one of friendly freelance consultants today!